Anaesthetic technicians prepare and maintain anaesthetic equipment for operating theatres and clinics, and assist anaesthetists during anaesthetic procedures.
Duties & Tasks
Anaesthetic technicians may perform the following tasks:
- set up, check and maintain anaesthetic workstations, life support machines and associated equipment
- order and prepare medical supplies for anaesthesia
- discuss medical procedures with patients and check whether they have any medical conditions that could cause problems under anaesthesia
- assist the anaesthetist to insert breathing tubes and intravascular lines in patients
- assist the anaesthetist to administer anaesthesia to patients
- monitor patients and their vital signs before, during and after procedures
- maintain documentation before, during and after surgery
- assist with basic life support and post-operative care
- assist the anaesthetist in emergencies.
- good communication and people skills
- attention to detail
- able to work under pressure
- good technical and measurement skills
- aptitude for working with computers
- organised and methodical
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job.