Confectioners mix, shape and cook sweeteners and other ingredients to produce confectionery, including chocolate, toffee and other lollies.
Duties & Tasks
Confectioners may perform the following tasks:
- examine production schedules to determine confectionery types and quantities to be made
- check the cleanliness and operation of equipment before beginning production
- weigh, measure, mix, dissolve and boil ingredients in pans
- operate equipment that refines and tempers chocolate
- assist with coating chocolate bars and preparing chocolate products
- control temperature and pressure in cookers used to make boiled sweets, starch-moulded products, caramels, toffees, nougat and chocolate centres
- operate equipment to compress sugar mixes into sweets
- check batch consistency using a stainless steel spatula or measuring equipment such as a refractometer
- sort and inspect finished or partly finished products.
Most confectioners work full time. Senior confectioners provide on-the-job training to junior employees and coordinate work in a team environment.
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- neat and clean
- enjoy working in a team.