Coxswains manage the operation of small commercial marine vessels, such as fishing boats, ferries, water taxis, jet boats, yachts, catamarans and tourist craft.
Duties & Tasks
Coxswains may perform the following tasks:
- manoeuvre and navigate small vessels
- consult weather authorities before planning a voyage
- give instructions to the crew
- communicate with passengers
- update vessel logbooks
- assist with mooring and unmooring vessels
- monitor condition and seaworthiness of vessels
- transmit and receive information by marine radio or telephone
- respond to emergency situations
- use navigational information and techniques to conduct a safe passage
- service propulsion systems, low-voltage electrical systems and auxiliary systems
- operate pumping systems, and outboard and inboard diesel engines.
Fishing Charter Operator
A fishing charter operator manages a fishing charter business, which may include work as a coxswain.
Coxswains may operate vessels up to 12 metres in length in sheltered waters. Those who wish to operate larger vessels further from the coast will need to gain additional qualifications.
- willing to spend time at sea
- able to lead and manage a crew
- commitment to safety
- pass an eye test and have normal colour vision
- good health and able to pass a medical examination.