Border Force Officer
Border Force officers manage the security and integrity of Australia's borders. They mainly work at international airports, seaports or outposts along the Australian coastline. Border Force officers check passengers and crew before clearing them for entry into Australia. They check international mail, passenger luggage and other cargo of ships and aircraft to prevent the illegal entry into Australia of prohibited, quarantined or dutiable goods.
Duties & Tasks
Border Force officers may perform the following tasks:
- process and assess risk levels of all passengers and crew entering or leaving Australia
- board ships and aircraft to check compliance with regulations and search for undocumented cargo and people or prohibited goods
- check documents, examine luggage and clear goods for import or export
- seize and destroy prohibited imports
- respond to public and industry enquiries
- engage with clients, travelers and the general public
- collect tariffs and duty, and refund GST to tourists
- monitor security in Border Force controlled areas, including wharves and airport tarmac areas
- perform administrative work as required.
Border Force officers are multiskilled and usually work as part of a team or under general supervision. Most officers work closely with the public and related industry personnel.
During initial training and in the early stages of their careers, officers can expect to be moved through a number of different areas. This may include periods of transfer to different locations around Australia depending on operational requirements. Some work areas require shiftwork and overtime.
- good communication and interpersonal skills
- flexible and resourceful
- good organisational and planning skills
- able to work as part of a team
- courteous and efficient
- high ethical standards
- able to deal with increasingly sophisticated technologies
- able to pass a medical and fitness examination
- able to satisfy security requirements
- at least 18 years of age
- Australian citizenship.
- Aviation Transport Protection Officer
- Environmental Health Officer
- Intelligence Analyst
- Office Administrator
- Police Officer - State
- Private Investigator