Electrical linespersons install, repair and maintain overhead lines and cables carrying electricity to domestic, commercial and industrial users and electric train services.
Duties & Tasks
Electrical linespeople may perform the following tasks:
- patrol electrical lines and inspect poles and towers
- install earth stakes, power poles, towers and guy wires using power tools and other equipment
- install and maintain aerial equipment such as conductors, cross arms, insulators, street lights, customer supply points, transformers, pole-mounted circuit breakers and switches
- trim tree branches clear of power lines using machinery
- cover live wire with insulating materials
- adjust the tension of cables and join overhead conductors using compression and wrap-on fittings
- perform emergency repairs such as isolating live wires
- ensure that conductors are correctly connected between the mains and customers' premises when performing installations or repairs
- monitor safe working conditions, and practise resuscitation, rescue and first aid procedures.
As electrical linespeople work with high and low voltages at considerable heights, they are given extensive training in safety procedures. They may be called out during emergencies at any time of the day or night and in all weather conditions.
- enjoy outdoor work
- enjoy practical work
- willing and able to work at heights
- normal colour vision
- good with hands
- able to work well as part of a team.