Exhaust Fitter and Repairer
Exhaust fitters and repairers remove and replace defective exhaust systems or parts of vehicles.
Duties & Tasks
Exhaust fitters and repairers may perform the following tasks:
- replace defective exhaust systems by removing the manifold, exhaust piping, muffler box or tailpipe, as necessary
- select a replacement part according to the vehicle make, model and year
- choose and modify a suitable alternative if the selected replacement part is not available
- bolt, clamp, tack or weld the part into place.
Exhaust fitters and repairers work in a workshop with the vehicle on a hoist, which means that much of the work involves reaching overhead. Working conditions can be noisy and involve handling dirty or rusted metal parts.
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- mechanical aptitude.
- Brake Mechanic
- Light Vehicle Motor Mechanic
- Radiator Repairer
- Tyre Fitter and Repairer
- Windscreen Fitter