Fish Farm Hand
Fish farm hands assist with the growing and cultivation of fish and the maintenance of fish farm premises and equipment.
Duties & Tasks
Fish farm hands may perform the following tasks:
- feed and grade fish and monitor their growth
- assist with farm layout and the construction of nets, longlines and/or cages
- check and look after all equipment and fish housing
- operate pumps and other equipment
- test and check on water quality
- remove dead or dying fish
- operate lifting equipment such as forklifts and small cranes
- handle marine vessels (barges, for example)
- harvest fish and sort and pack for transportation
- maintain farm records.
Fish farm hands may be employed in either finfish farming or shellfish farming. They usually work outside, either on or in the water, and at shore-based facilities. Fish farms are generally located in sheltered waters. Most fish farm hands are expected to work overtime, particularly in the summer months.
- enjoy outdoor work
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- able to swim.