Forest Technical Officer
Forest technical officers are responsible for many of the forestry operations involved in the planting, management and harvesting of trees.
Duties & Tasks
Forest technical officers may perform the following tasks:
- supervise forest establishment and maintenance work such as fencing, planting, nursery work and pruning, and protection work involving controlled burning, fire spotting and firefighting
- carry out or supervise seed harvesting, propagation or cultivation of young trees
- measure and select trees for felling and supervise logging operations to ensure compliance with forest policies and programmes
- implement erosion and sediment controls
- carry out or supervise the use of herbicides and insecticides to implement pest, weed and disease control
- set up or assist with field trials associated with research projects and forest growth studies
- enforce fire prevention regulations
- supervise the construction and maintenance of forest access roads
- issue licences and permits for recreation and the collection of some forest products
- carry out investigations and assist with the prosecution of offenders
- write reports and undertake other clerical work.
Forester - Technical
A forester - technical usually performs a supervisory or managerial role in forestry projects. They may work with Foresters and Forest Technical Officers. See the separate entries for these occupations.
Forest technical officers usually work in country areas and sometimes in isolated bush locations. They work irregular hours during emergencies such as bushfires. Those in administrative or research positions are usually based in larger centres.
Forest technical officers may be involved in forest operations, forest assessment and planning, or forest research. Those working in private industry may supervise logging activities.
- enjoy practical and outdoor work
- interested in forest and environmental management
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- good communication skills
- leadership potential and ability to supervise others
- able to work as part of a team.
- Forest Worker
- Science Field Officer
- Timber and Wood Production Worker
- Timber Harvesting Operator