Industrial Engineering Technologist
Industrial engineering technologists study and try to improve the quality and quantity of goods produced, and the efficiency and economics of production.
Duties & Tasks
Industrial engineering technologists may perform the following tasks:
- conduct studies to evaluate work methods and assess the work content through use of measurement techniques, using the information from such studies to determine and improve operating efficiencies of the company
- study material-handling methods and suggest or implement changes that reduce physical effort, increase safety and minimise handling costs
- design and modify equipment and processes to optimise efficiency and use of resources
- produce and submit proposals to management for upgrading equipment
- measure and study available floor space and draw plans of efficient plant layout to scale, using drafting equipment or Computer-Aided Drafting (CAD) software
- assist with developing tests for components and finished products to ensure they meet quality standards and operating requirements
- plan assignments and make recommendations based on worker performance, machine capacity and production schedules
- assist with or produce routine maintenance schedules
- assist with surveillance of inventories, ranging from raw materials to finished products, and prepare status reports
- supervise and advise operators and work teams, ensuring work is carried out according to plan
- communicate with contractors and suppliers of goods and services
- liaise with all persons in an organisation, from senior management through to union representatives and staff on the shop floor.
Industrial engineering technologists deal with computer operations, including CAD, Computer-Aided Manufacturing (CAM) methods and Computer Numerical Control (CNC) programming, as well as robotics, production systems and manufacturing resource planning.
- enjoy technical and engineering activities
- able to identify, analyse and solve problems
- good oral and written communication skills
- aptitude for computing and design
- practical and creative
- able to work independently or as part of a team
- responsible attitude.
- Civil Engineering Technologist
- Electrical or Electronics Engineering Technologist
- Industrial Engineer
- Mechanical Engineering Technologist