Leather Goods Maker
Leather goods makers make and repair leather articles such as handbags, wallets, gloves, belts, harnesses and saddlery (horse riding equipment).
Duties & Tasks
Leather goods makers may perform the following tasks:
- select suitable types and grades of leather
- draw patterns
- cut leather to size and shape using special cutting machines called 'clicking' and 'skiving' machines
- join pieces together with rivets, threads or adhesives
- sew by hand using needles
- fill saddles and collars with hair or flock (stuffing)
- attach buckles, eyelets and metal decorations, and emboss decorative patterns
- finish products with stain, dye, polish or coats of lacquer
- repair damaged goods.
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- good hand-eye coordination
- able to perform detailed work.