Locksmiths install, sell, test and maintain locks and related security devices and systems.
Duties & Tasks
Locksmiths may perform the following tasks:
- sell and install high-security lock systems, key control systems, all types of mechanical locks and keyless-entry locks
- repair, replace or adjust damaged or defective components of doors, including door closers, hinges and electronic release mechanisms
- change mechanical and electronic key codes
- design, manufacture, install and manage restricted master key systems
- determine customer security requirements and assess risks through discussion and on-site inspection
- assist clients to gain entry to premises, automotive vehicles, safes or high-security storage containers such as filing cabinets
- recommend appropriate security and locking systems such as safes, strong rooms, alarms, closed-circuit television (CCTV), and door and window locks
- install, replace and maintain locking systems, alarms and access control systems
- test the performance of locks and security systems
- repair jammed, worn or damaged locks by manipulating, dismantling, repairing or replacing defective parts
- sell locks, safes and associated hardware
- cut new or duplicate keys for locks and other security systems and devices
- keep records of specifications of installed locking systems.
Safe and Vault Technician
A safe and vault technician opens, rebuilds, moves and installs safes.
Locksmiths may be required to work weekends, on call and after hours. Some locksmiths work in mobile units, travelling between jobs. They may also be required to work in confined spaces and outdoors.
- enjoy technical work
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- able to lift heavy items
- good hand-eye coordination
- able to work independently or as part of a team
- attention to detail
- patient and tactful when dealing with customers
- good vision and hearing
- good verbal and written communication skills.
- Engineering Tradesperson - Mechanical
- Instrument Fitter
- Instrumentation Tradesperson
- Security System Technician
- Tool and Die Setter
- Watch and Clock Repairer