Optical dispensers interpret optical prescriptions and fit and service optical appliances such as spectacle frames and lenses.
Duties & Tasks
Optical dispensers may perform the following tasks:
- discuss the client's eyewear needs
- choose the appropriate frame to satisfy the client's comfort, appearance and prescription requirements
- discuss and recommend types of lenses and lens enhancements
- ensure lenses conform to the prescription of the ophthalmologist (eye specialist) or optometrist
- shape lenses and fit them to frames, ensuring they meet quality standards
- ensure the new eyewear fits correctly and comfortably
- carry out minor repairs to damaged frames.
An optical dispenser works as part of an eye care team alongside optometrists or ophthalmologists (who issue the optical prescription) and optical mechanics (who make the visual aid or optical appliance).
- good communication skills
- sales ability
- technical ability
- good hand-eye coordination
- aptitude for mathematics
- enjoy helping people
- patient and attention to detail.