Optical mechanics make precision optical parts; grind, polish and surface prescription lenses and contact lenses; and fit lenses to spectacle frames.
Duties & Tasks
Optical mechanics may perform the following tasks:
- read and interpret prescriptions from eye specialists
- locate and mark optical centres and axes on lens blanks and make calculations to grind lenses to specifications
- grind and polish the surface of the lens by setting grinding and polishing machines
- test polished lenses for accuracy
- apply protective coatings and non-reflective material to lenses and apply heat and chemical treatment to glass lenses to harden them if required
- shape and fit lenses to spectacle frames
- repair damaged and broken spectacles
- cut and polish contact lenses to prescription requirements.
- good eyesight (or correctable by glasses or contact lenses)
- good hand-eye coordination
- patient and able to carry out accurate work
- aptitude for mathematics and physics.