Panel beaters repair damage to metal, plastic and fibreglass bodywork on vehicles. They also make and form vehicle panels using machines or hand tools.
Duties & Tasks
Panel beaters may perform the following tasks:
- remove damaged panels and components by unbolting or cutting them away
- repair damaged body panels with specialist tools and equipment
- use measuring, mechanical and hydraulic equipment to restore vehicles to factory clearances
- cut and join replacement sections or damaged panels using correct welding procedures
- repair dents with plastic fillers, and file, grind and sand repaired surfaces using power and hand tools
- fit the repaired panels on the framework of the vehicle and refit body hardware, such as door locks and door trims
- replace badly damaged sections with new or second-hand panels
- realign chassis and body frames using chassis aligners and measuring systems
- remove and replace accident-related mechanical items
- remove and replace auto-electric components
- help vehicle body builders to build custom-designed, speciality or vintage vehicles
- assist with spray painting vehicles.
Panel beaters work in workshops and wear protective clothing.
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- able to work with hand tools and machines
- good hand-eye coordination
- able to visualise the end product
- normal colour vision
- aptitude for technical activities.