Property managers manage and supervise the letting of commercial, residential, industrial and retail rental properties on behalf of their owners.
Duties & Tasks
Property managers may perform the following tasks:
- market vacant properties for lease and organise viewing sessions for prospective tenants
- perform background checks of references, employment and rentals before selecting suitable tenants
- negotiate lease terms and conditions and ensure that they are observed
- collect and hold bond and rent monies from tenants
- manage other accounts and finances such as insurance and budget requirements
- arrange and perform regular property inspections
- monitor property condition and arrange for maintenance or repair
- advise on market rents and conduct rent reviews to assess the current rental price
- represent property owners at residential tribunal hearings.
Property managers often work irregular hours, including weekends. This occupation involves a great deal of contact with the public and with associated professionals, such as builders, plumbers and electricians.
- good communication and negotiation skills
- good presentation and a pleasant manner
- able to work independently
- excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- good working knowledge of the local area.