Railway Infrastructure Worker
Railway infrastructure workers work on the construction, maintenance and operation of railway infrastructure, including tracks, signalling equipment and buildings.
Duties & Tasks
Railway infrastructure workers may perform the following tasks:
- inspect and monitor railway tracks
- check, assess and maintain track-laying equipment
- install, maintain and repair tracks, sleepers (wooden or concrete support slats) and ballast (crushed stone surrounding the tracks and sleepers)
- operate equipment
- perform general site maintenance of the rail corridor.
Railway infrastructure workers work on railway lines and at transfer yards, mines and quarries. They work shifts, including weekends and public holidays. Those working in regional or remote locations may be required to stay in local accommodation.
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- alert and safety-conscious
- able to work as part of a team.
- Train and Network Controller
- Train Crew Employee
- Train Driver
- Transport Administrator
- Transport Clerk
- Transport Services Officer