Roofers cover houses and other structures with roof tiles, slates, shingles or steel sheeting to form waterproof and durable surfaces.
Duties & Tasks
Roofers may perform the following tasks:
- examine drawings, specifications and worksites to determine materials required
- assess risks
- erect ladders and tile elevators
- erect and dismantle restricted-height scaffolding
- place roofing underlays over eaves and secure them by nailing or stapling these to roofs
- correctly space and nail wooden strips (battens) across the roof rafters on which the tiles or other roofing material will be placed
- measure and cut roofing material to fit around vents, chimney edges and the hips and valleys of the roof
- fix roof flashings (weatherproof covering)
- fix the ridge caps and gable ends with cement mortar or tech screws
- apply protective paint coating systems
- clear the roof of debris upon job completion.
Roofers' work involves a lot of bending, climbing and lifting. They work outdoors, at heights and in all weather conditions.
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- good sense of balance
- good hand-eye coordination
- willing to work at heights and outdoors.