Saw doctors make, repair, maintain and sharpen a wide range of cutting tools and saw blades. They also maintain mechanical parts of a range of production machines.
Duties & Tasks
Saw doctors may perform the following tasks:
- manufacture saw blades from blank sheets or strips of steel
- straighten and stretch steel in circular and band saws
- operate hand and power tools, machines and mechanical equipment
- mill, grind, press or sharpen cutting tools
- weld tools, saws and cutting edges
- manufacture and maintain the straightness and balance in all cutting tools and saw blades
- use hand skills to manipulate machines to sharpen saws and cutting tools so that they produce the required surface finish on sawn or milled products
- maintain a range of mechanical parts on sawing machinery used in timber processing.
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- normal vision and hearing
- good hand-eye coordination.