Theatre mechanists prepare and put together sets for live performances, theatre, opera, musical concerts and dance performances.
Duties & Tasks
Theatre mechanists may perform the following tasks:
- load and unload scenery
- build and set up stage scenery and suspended scenery (or 'flown' scenery)
- determine the best method for storage and setting of scenery in performances
- run the scenery movements in a performance
- operate the mechanical components of the stage including trap doors, lifting equipment and movable scenery
- carry out maintenance and repairs of stage scenery.
Theatre mechanists work as part of a small team. Working hours are irregular and may include long shifts, nights and weekends.
- enjoy manual work
- able to use a variety of tools
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- enjoy working with people in a team environment.