Vehicle dismantlers recover parts from vehicles for resale to customers.
Duties & Tasks
Vehicle dismantlers may perform the following tasks:
- use hand and power tools to remove panels, bumper bars, steering wheels, seats and other reusable body parts
- disassemble engines, transmission systems, electrical components, wheels, brakes and other parts which can then be placed into stock or sold
- clean parts so that they are ready for resale
- tag parts for inventory or shipping
- move vehicle body parts using a forklift or crane
- handle questions or sales by telephone or in person
- carry out minor paperwork
- comply with all Environmental Protection Authority and state regulators for gases and hazardous material disposal.
Vehicle dismantlers may work indoors (storage and administration) or outdoors (disassembling vehicle parts). They must have good knowledge of products and prices.
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- good hand-eye coordination
- good communication skills
- interested in motor vehicles
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- able to work unsupervised.