Vehicle trimmers make, install, repair, replace or modify the seats, upholstery, roof and door linings, interior trim and floor coverings of a vehicle. They work on cars, trucks, vintage vehicles, buses, caravans, trains, aircraft and boats.
Duties & Tasks
Vehicle trimmers may perform the following tasks:
- remove old coverings or fittings from vehicles and take new measurements
- select, measure and cut out pieces of fabric, vinyl or leather using shears or electric cutting tools
- sew pieces together using industrial sewing machines
- fit trim in vehicles
- repair and manufacture seat covers
- refit, align and check window winding mechanisms, door locks and other interior parts
- waterproof and dustproof vehicles using weather strips and draught sealers
- manufacture work according to drawings and sketches.
A marine upholsterer install or repair the upholstery on boats with appropriately resilient materials.
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- good hand-eye coordination
- able to work neatly and accurately
- able to solve problems
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- normal colour vision.