Sociologists study the development, structure, social patterns and interrelationships of social groups and human societies.
Duties & Tasks
Sociologists may perform the following tasks:
- observe and investigate social groups and subjects such as family, community, education, industrial relations, crime, politics, minority and ethnic relations, poverty and mass communications
- research, collect and analyse data, generally using computers
- record and interpret facts and figures, and write reports using the data
- undertake systematic interviews of selected individuals
- live in the community being studied to assist their own understanding.
Sociologists may be required to travel to conduct research and consult with other social scientists.
- able to remain objective
- sensitivity to and interested in social issues
- good oral and written communication skills
- aptitude for research
- able to work independently.