Personal requirements of a Binder and Finisher
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- good eyesight (may be corrected)
- good hand-eye coordination
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- mechanical aptitude
- good communication skills
- able to work as part of a team
- able to pay attention to detail.
Duties & Tasks of a Binder and Finisher
Binders and finishers may perform the following tasks:
- process sheets of printed material by assembling the sheets, trimming them to size using automated guillotines and then folding the sheets using mechanised folders
- set up and prepare bookbinding and finishing machines, which assemble pages or attach covers to books
- prepare and apply the pastes and glues needed to hold books together (if binding books by hand), glue or sew the pages into place and 'build' the cover around each individual book, often using cloths, leathers and fine papers
- repair damaged bindings.