Industrial spray painters operate spray-painting equipment to apply protective coatings to manufactured items or structures.
Duties & Tasks
Industrial spray painters may perform the following tasks:
- prepare surfaces to be coated by using various methods (abrasive blasting, high pressure water washing or power wire brushing) to remove grease, dirt and rust
- monitor extractors, drying fans and heaters
- mix chemicals to meet the requirements of the customer
- spray coatings (such as paint, lacquer, enamel, silver or copper solutions) onto manufactured products to provide finished surfaces
- move items to drying areas and unload and stack them for further painting or packaging
- rub down painted items between coats
- operate paint dipping baths and conveyor equipment
- touch up defective areas of painted items
- clean nozzles, containers and hoses of machines.
Industrial spray painters usually work in noisy factory or construction environments. Most of their time is spent standing or bent over. Protective clothing, masks and goggles must be worn when handling poisonous materials.
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- no chest complaints
- no allergies related to paints, solvents or dust
- normal colour vision.