How to become a Builder

Builders coordinate the construction of dwellings and other structures.

Personal requirements of a Builder

  • Good communication and interpersonal skills
  • Management and leadership skills
  • Good planning and organisational skills
  • Aptitude for technical activities

Education & Training for a Builder

To become a builder, you usually have to complete a VET qualification in building and construction. As subjects and prerequisites can vary between institutions, you should contact your chosen institution for further information. You can also become a builder by studying construction management or building at university. To get into these courses you usually need to gain your Senior Secondary Certificate of Education. Prerequisite subjects, or assumed knowledge, in one or more of English and mathematics are normally required. Universities have different prerequisites and some have flexible entry requirements or offer external study. Contact the institutions you are interested in for more information. For further details, visit

Avg. weekly wage:


Future growth:

moderate growth

Employment by state:

ACT 1.5%

NSW 30.1%

NT 1.7%

QLD 18.3%

SA 4.2%

TAS 3.1%

VIC 30.2%

WA 10.9%

Hours worked:




Gender split:

Male 94.8%

Female 5.2%

Education level:

Not completed Year 10: 1.7%

Not completed Year 12: 8.6%

Highest qualification is secondary school: 13.9%

Highest qualification is a Certificate 3 or 4: 34.8%

Highest qualification is a Diploma or Advanced Diploma: 17.4%

Highest qualification is a Bachelor degree: 18.4%

Highest qualification is a Postgraduate Diploma or Graduate Certificate: 5.2%

Age bracket:

Below 35 years: 25.2%

Above 35 years: 74.7%

*The data above is sourced from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website.

Additional Information
In some states and territories, builder must either be registered as, or work under the supervision of, a registered building practitioner. To be registered you must have completed training and have relevant industry experience. All those who work in the construction industry must undergo safety induction training and be issued with a Construction Induction Card (CIC). Those with appropriate building qualifications may be eligible to become members of the Australian Institute of Building.
Related careers