Cartographic technicians assist cartographers with the analysis of field survey and land management data, aerial photographs and other geographic information sources to prepare maps, plans, charts and diagrams.
Personal requirements of a Cartographic Technician
- graphic skills, with an interest in drawing and design
- aptitude for working with computers
- able to work neatly and accurately
- normal colour vision.
Duties & Tasks of a Cartographic Technician
Cartographic technicians may perform the following tasks:
- fit data into required mapping formats, using a variety of methods
- prepare, edit and revise plans, maps, charts and other drawings, manually or on computers
- prepare finished material for reproduction and publication.