Graphic pre-press tradespersons use computerised typesetting and image assembly to design layouts and assemble text and graphics into page formats for printing.
Personal requirements of a Graphic Pre-press Tradesperson
- enjoy technical work
- interested in typography, art and design
- able to carry out detailed work
- good knowledge of the English language
- good eyesight (may be corrected) and normal colour vision
- good hand-eye coordination
- high degree of concentration and patience.
Duties & Tasks of a Graphic Pre-press Tradesperson
Graphic pre-press tradespeople may perform the following tasks:
- develop visual concepts
- prepare layouts and finished artwork by deciding the type size and style, line width and visual composition of illustrations and photographs
- manipulate images and type to meet production and design requirements using a variety of computer hardware and software
- produce and process photographic images
- electronically scan, separate and correct the colour of images
- prepare a variety of printing mediums, including letterpresses, offset lithographic plates, gravure cylinders and flexographic plates or blocks
- input, transfer and manipulate electronic data for a variety of devices, including typesetting systems, scanners and multimedia systems
- manage digital data and client files.