Mechanical engineering technologists design, inspect, manage and test technologies, systems and procedures in mining, manufacturing or processing industry plants.
Personal requirements of a Mechanical Engineering Technologist
- enjoy technical and engineering activities
- able to identify, analyse and solve problems
- good oral and written communication skills
- aptitude for computing and design
- practical and creative
- able to work independently or as part of a team.
Duties & Tasks of a Mechanical Engineering Technologist
Mechanical engineering technologists may perform the following tasks:
- design engineering factories and equipment
- supervise the maintenance of factories and equipment
- apply testing and monitoring equipment to determine the condition of operating equipment
- use computers as tools for routine design and analysis
- analyse and interpret engineering information and data
- prepare reports for engineering management
- work with professional engineers to ensure the engineering plant is operating efficiently
- advise employers and clients on the application of new technologies.
Working conditions for a Mechanical Engineering Technologist
Mechanical engineering technologists work in offices, technical laboratories or workshops, or on site. They work in teams with engineers, technicians and tradespeople.