Medical laboratory technicians carry out routine laboratory tests and other procedures used in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and disorders of the human body.
Duties & Tasks
Medical laboratory technicians may perform the following tasks:
- set up equipment used in the laboratory and clean it after use
- prepare and stain slides of microorganisms for microscopic examination
- under supervision, collect blood samples, perform blood counts and carry out tests to determine bleeding, coagulation time, blood types and other characteristics
- communicate results of tests to the medical officers who have requested them.
Medical laboratory technicians work as part of a team with doctors, scientists and laboratory assistants.
- attention to detail
- able to work accurately and with minimal supervision
- able to do repetitive work without losing concentration.
A phlebotomist practises the drawing of blood for therapeutic, transfusion, diagnostic or experimental purposes.