Prosthetic/orthotic technicians make, repair and maintain prostheses (artificial limbs) or orthoses (braces, callipers and related devices).
Personal requirements of a Prosthetic/Orthotic Technician
- aptitude for technical activities
- good hand-eye coordination
- good communication skills
- able to work as part of a team
- able to work accurately with strong attention to detail.
Duties & Tasks of a Prosthetic/Orthotic Technician
Prosthetic/orthotic technicians may perform the following tasks:
- use tools, machinery, plastic and metal to make and repair prostheses and orthoses
- assist professional prosthetists/orthotists.
Working conditions for a Prosthetic/Orthotic Technician
Prosthetic/orthotic technicians work in a workshop under the guidance of, and with instruction from, professional prosthetists/orthotists. They are not normally engaged in direct client treatment.