How to become a Security Officer

Security officers protect people and property, and maintain crowd control.

Personal requirements of a Security Officer

  • Physically fit (may be required to pass a medical examination)
  • Good hearing and eyesight (may be corrected)
  • Observant
  • Responsible and trustworthy
  • Assertive with good interpersonal skills
  • Good communication and negotiation skills
  • Australian citizenship, or eligibility for citizenship, for Australian Protective Service Officer positions

Education & Training for a Security Officer

To become a security officer you usually have to complete a VET qualification. Applicants may be required to undergo a pre-training National Police Check and/or attend an interview. As subjects and prerequisites can vary between institutions, you should contact your chosen institution for further information. You can also become a security officer through a traineeship. Entry requirements may vary, but employers generally require Year 10. For further details, visit

Avg. weekly wage:


Future growth:

strong growth

Employment by state:

ACT 2.6%

NSW 32.3%

NT 2.5%

QLD 21.7%

SA 7.2%

TAS 1.7%

VIC 18.7%

WA 13.3%

Hours worked:



above average

Gender split:

Male 81.3%

Female 18.7%

Education level:

Not completed Year 10: 3.7%

Not completed Year 12: 13.7%

Highest qualification is secondary school: 34.2%

Highest qualification is a Certificate 3 or 4: 20.4%

Highest qualification is a Diploma or Advanced Diploma: 9.4%

Highest qualification is a Bachelor degree: 7.3%

Highest qualification is a Postgraduate Diploma or Graduate Certificate: 11.3%

Age bracket:

Below 35 years: 38.5%

Above 35 years: 64.5%

*The data above is sourced from the Department of Employment’s Job Outlook website.

Additional Information
On completion of this training, you can apply for a licence from the relevant body in your state or territory. You must be over 18 years of age, obtain a National Police Certificate and hold a current Provide First Aid Certificate. People involved in security work usually need a drivers licence. Security officers working in licensed venues (where alcohol is served) will need a Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) certificate. RSA short courses are widely offered by TAFE institutes and Registered Training Organisations.
Related careers