Steel fixers position and secure steel bars or steel mesh to reinforce concrete structures.
Personal requirements of a Steel Fixer
- able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- enjoy practical work
- able to work at heights
- able to work as part of a team.
Duties & Tasks of a Steel Fixer
Steel fixers may perform the following tasks:
- read and interpret working plans and steel lists for the job
- set out the work from these instructions
- make steel bars or mesh the required length by cutting them with bolt cutters, guillotines or power saws
- assemble the reinforcing bars or mesh by welding, wiring or clipping into predetermined locations within the concrete
- fabricate steel reinforcement such as beams, footing pads or special units
- join prefabricated units together for large sections of high rise or civil projects, and position the reinforcement ready for concrete pours.
Working conditions for a Steel Fixer
Steel fixers are mainly employed in the industrial/commercial sectors of the building industry on construction sites. They may also work in pre-cast concrete plants, as well as in areas of pre-stressing, post-stressing and tensioning, using hydraulic jacks and tensioning mechanisms.