Trichologists diagnose and treat human hair and scalp problems and provide care for the general health of human hair.
Personal requirements of a Trichologist
- enjoy science
- enjoy contact with the public
- patient and tactful.
Duties & Tasks of a Trichologist
Trichologists may perform the following tasks:
- discuss scalp problems with clients
- examine the scalp and identify the problem
- determine the cause of the problem and decide on appropriate therapy
- treat scalp problems such as dandruff, itchiness of the scalp, hair loss, baldness and excessive oiliness
- carry out a microscopic examination of the hair
- apply ointment or lotion to the scalp, massage or use electrotherapy machines and ultra-violet lamps
- prescribe nutritional supplements
- advise on the correct use of hair colouring, permanent waving and straightening products
- treat damage sustained by the hair or scalp (as a result of the misuse of hair colouring, for example)
- where necessary, refer clients to medical or paramedical practitioners.