Windscreen fitters repair and replace windscreens and side and rear glass in motor vehicles.
Personal requirements of a Windscreen Fitter
- enjoy practical and manual activities
- good customer relations skills
- no allergies to chemicals, kerosene or sealants
- interested in motor vehicles
- good at mechanical activities.
Duties & Tasks of a Windscreen Fitter
Windscreen fitters may perform the following tasks:
- repair laminated windscreens
- remove moulds and trims from around damaged glass
- remove damaged windscreens and side and rear glass, and replace these according to the vehicle manufacturer's specifications
- install glass that has either been pre-cut and shaped or cut with a template using flat laminated glass
- repair or replace damaged glass frames, moulds, window winding mechanisms and door handles.
Working conditions for a Windscreen Fitter
The work may be carried out in a workshop or in a mobile service unit. Some companies specialise in sunroof conversions and car window insulation (tinting).