Civil and structural engineering associates provide technical support to civil engineers and civil engineering technologists. They assist with the research, design, construction, operation and maintenance of projects such as roads, airports, railways, buildings, bridges, dams and drainage systems.
Personal requirements for a Civil and Structural Engineering Associate
- Able to identify, analyse and solve technical problems
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Capable of accurate, detailed work
- Aptitude for computing and design
- Practical and creative
- Able to work independently or as part of a team
- Able to accept responsibility.
Duties & Tasks of a Civil and Structural Engineering Associate
Civil and structural engineering associates may perform the following tasks:
- Help to estimate costs, prepare specifications for materials and carry out surveying and drafting
- Prepare working drawings, plans and designs for construction work
- Use computers to produce designs, detailed drawings and documentation
- Help with programming work and checking materials
- Maintain close contact with construction workers and project managers
- Check that finished works are within specifications, regulations and contract provisions
- Inspect civil engineering works, and organise and supervise maintenance and repair work.
Working conditions for a Civil and Structural Engineering Associate
Civil and structural engineering associates may work in offices, technical laboratories, workshops or on site.
Civil Engineering Design Drafter
A civil engineering design drafter prepares technical design drawings for the construction of structural, sanitary, transportation, drainage and other civil engineering projects.
Engineering Technical Officer
An engineering technical officer performs a wider range of technical tasks. This may involve operating specialised machinery or coordinating a team of workers in undertaking specific tasks, such as preparing a foundation for structural construction to support the construction process.
Structural Engineering Design Drafter
A structural engineering design drafter prepares drawings for the construction of steel, concrete or timber structures (such as framed buildings, roof trusses, cranes, bridges, towers and supporting structures).