Exhaust fitters and repairers remove and replace defective exhaust systems or parts of vehicles.
Personal requirements for an Exhaust Fitter and Repairer
- Enjoy practical and manual activities
- Able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- Mechanical aptitude.
Duties & Tasks of an Exhaust Fitter and Repairer
Exhaust fitters and repairers may perform the following tasks:
- Replace defective exhaust systems by removing the manifold, exhaust piping, muffler box or tailpipe, as necessary
- Select a replacement part according to the vehicle make, model and year
- Choose and modify a suitable alternative if the selected replacement part is not available
- Bolt, clamp, tack or weld the part into place.
Working conditions for an Exhaust Fitter and Repairer
Exhaust fitters and repairers work in a workshop with the vehicle on a hoist, which means that much of the work involves reaching overhead. Working conditions can be noisy and involve handling dirty or rusted metal parts.