Graphic pre-press tradespersons use computerised typesetting and image assembly to design layouts and assemble text and graphics into page formats for printing.
Personal requirements for a Graphic Pre-press Tradesperson
- Enjoy technical work
- Interested in typography, art and design
- Able to carry out detailed work
- Good knowledge of the English language
- Good eyesight (may be corrected) and normal colour vision
- Good hand-eye coordination
- High degree of concentration and patience.
Duties & Tasks of a Graphic Pre-press Tradesperson
Graphic pre-press tradespeople may perform the following tasks:
- Develop visual concepts
- Prepare layouts and finished artwork by deciding the type size and style, line width and visual composition of illustrations and photographs
- Manipulate images and type to meet production and design requirements using a variety of computer hardware and software
- Produce and process photographic images
- Electronically scan, separate and correct the colour of images
- Prepare a variety of printing mediums, including letterpresses, offset lithographic plates, gravure cylinders and flexographic plates or blocks
- Input, transfer and manipulate electronic data for a variety of devices, including typesetting systems, scanners and multimedia systems
- Manage digital data and client files.