Mechanical engineering technologists design, inspect, manage and test technologies, systems and procedures in mining, manufacturing or processing industry plants.
Personal requirements for a Mechanical Engineering Technologist
- Enjoy technical and engineering activities
- Able to identify, analyse and solve problems
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Aptitude for computing and design
- Practical and creative
- Able to work independently or as part of a team.
Duties & Tasks of a Mechanical Engineering Technologist
Mechanical engineering technologists may perform the following tasks:
- Design engineering factories and equipment
- Supervise the maintenance of factories and equipment
- Apply testing and monitoring equipment to determine the condition of operating equipment
- Use computers as tools for routine design and analysis
- Analyse and interpret engineering information and data
- Prepare reports for engineering management
- Work with professional engineers to ensure the engineering plant is operating efficiently
- Advise employers and clients on the application of new technologies.
Working conditions for a Mechanical Engineering Technologist
Mechanical engineering technologists work in offices, technical laboratories or workshops, or on site. They work in teams with engineers, technicians and tradespeople.