Pastrycooks mix, bake, fill, ice and decorate all kinds of cakes and pastries.
Personal requirements for a Pastrycook
- Enjoy practical work
- Good hand-eye coordination
- Artistic and creative
- Good health, with no skin allergies or chronic chest complaints
- Clean and tidy
- Good literacy and numeracy skills
- Good organisational skills.
Duties & Tasks of a Pastrycook
Pastrycooks may perform the following tasks:
- Weigh, mix or knead, mould and shape mixtures before baking
- Load and unload mixtures into ovens using tins and trays
- Operate and monitor baking equipment
- Glaze or decorate cakes and pastries with icing or cream
- Order baking supplies from wholesalers
- Check and maintain the cleanliness of equipment and utensils to ensure health and safety regulations are met
- Work with products such as chocolate to create decorations
- Serve customers.
Working conditions for a Pastrycook
Pastrycooks stand for most of the day. They may work split shifts at night or on weekends and public holidays. Pastrycooks must be prepared to start work early in the morning. Conditions in the bakery are usually hot and humid.
Pastrycooks may specialise as chocolatiers, patissiers, ice carvers, sculptors and festive cake decorators.