Printing hands operate basic binding machines, perform manual binding and finishing of books and printed products and carry out routine print-related tasks.
Personal requirements for a Printing Hand
- Enjoy practical and manual activities
- Good eyesight (may be corrected) and normal colour vision
- Able to carry out detailed work
- Aptitude for mechanical work
- Aptitude for working with computers.
Duties & Tasks of a Printing Hand
Printing hands may perform the following tasks:
- Fold, arrange and fasten printed products by hand or with the aid of machines
- Perform manual binding and finishing operations
- Carry out quality control checks
- Operate specialised machines such as mini binders and automatic carton-folding machines
- Assist with setting up folding machines and check folded articles
- Assist with the operation and adjustment of machines
- Assist with the setting up and monitoring of the operation of automated binding lines
- Carry out minor repairs and routine maintenance
- Clear waste and clean work areas and machines
- Handle and transport materials around the work areas.
Working conditions for a Printing Hand
Printing hands work with single and multi-colour printing presses. They can be employed in small or large firms.