Timber harvesting operators undertake a range of tasks to do with the harvesting and maintenance of trees in natural forests and plantations, including logging, felling and sawing trees.
Personal requirements for a Timber Harvesting Operator
- Able to undertake manual and heavy work
- Observant and methodical
- Good communication skills
- Enjoy outdoor work
- Enjoy working in teams
- Alert and safety-conscious.
Duties & Tasks of a Timber Harvesting Operator
Timber harvesting operators may perform the following tasks:
- Remove or trim branches and tree tops
- Load and transport logs
- Clear area around intended fall of each tree
- Plan the tree felling and bucking (sawing into logs)
- Operate manual and machine saws to fell and buck trees
- Operate machinery such as loading machines, excavators and bulldozers
- Maintain equipment
- Maintain strict occupational health and safety requirements.
Working conditions for a Timber Harvesting Operator
Timber harvesting operators usually work under the supervision of a senior tree faller. They work outside, often in a team. They may be required to live in, or travel to, regional or remote areas for work.
A tree faller operates manual and machine saws to fell and buck trees.