Trichologists diagnose and treat human hair and scalp problems and provide care for the general health of human hair.
Personal requirements for a Trichologist
- Enjoy science
- Enjoy contact with the public
- Patient and tactful.
Duties & Tasks of a Trichologist
Trichologists may perform the following tasks:
- Discuss scalp problems with clients
- Examine the scalp and identify the problem
- Determine the cause of the problem and decide on appropriate therapy
- Treat scalp problems such as dandruff, itchiness of the scalp, hair loss, baldness and excessive oiliness
- Carry out a microscopic examination of the hair
- Apply ointment or lotion to the scalp, massage or use electrotherapy machines and ultra-violet lamps
- Prescribe nutritional supplements
- Advise on the correct use of hair colouring, permanent waving and straightening products
- Treat damage sustained by the hair or scalp (as a result of the misuse of hair colouring, for example)
- Where necessary, refer clients to medical or paramedical practitioners.