Windscreen fitters repair and replace windscreens and side and rear glass in motor vehicles.
Personal requirements for a Windscreen Fitter
- Enjoy practical and manual activities
- Good customer relations skills
- No allergies to chemicals, kerosene or sealants
- Interested in motor vehicles
- Good at mechanical activities.
Duties & Tasks of a Windscreen Fitter
Windscreen fitters may perform the following tasks:
- Repair laminated windscreens
- Remove moulds and trims from around damaged glass
- Remove damaged windscreens and side and rear glass, and replace these according to the vehicle manufacturer's specifications
- Install glass that has either been pre-cut and shaped or cut with a template using flat laminated glass
- Repair or replace damaged glass frames, moulds, window winding mechanisms and door handles.
Working conditions for a Windscreen Fitter
The work may be carried out in a workshop or in a mobile service unit. Some companies specialise in sunroof conversions and car window insulation (tinting).