Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
This nationally accredited course is dedicated to producing future teachers ready to enter the primary education teaching profession. A key feature of this course is the range and number of professional practice experiences offered to pre-service teacher education students, ensuring they can make the essential connection between theory and practice, while building both professional and generic employability skills in real teaching environments. Partnerships between ECU and over 1,000 schools and early learning centres allow for pre-service teachers to gain experience in diverse settings, including public, private, metropolitan, regional, rural or remote schools, working with children from diverse economic, social, ethnic and educational circumstances. Pre-service teachers also have the opportunity to complete a formal specialisation in their Primary Education qualification. This enables you to obtain a deeper and broader level knowledge and understanding in a particular Learning Area at the graduate level. Units are also available in the degree that enable students to complete accreditation requirements to teach in Catholic schools.
- 32 units
- 480 credit points
- practicum placement
Standard entry requirements
- University admission requirements apply. All applicants are required to satisfy non-academic criteria, in addition to satisfying academic entry criteria. Applicants' non-academic capabilities will be assessed based on completion of a Non-Academic Requirements for Teacher Entry (NARTE) online questionnaire.International students must attain an Academic IELTS with an average level of 7.5 or more, across the four components of listening, speaking, reading and writing
- No score below level 7.0 in any of these components
- And, a score of 8.0 or more in the components of speaking and listening. Internationally schooled applicants may also be required to meet this requirement. Minimum English standard requirements for this course may also be satisfied with one of the following: Year 12 English ATAR/English Literature ATAR grade C or better or equivalent
- Special Tertiary Admissions Test
- * Successfully completed 1.0 EFTSL of study at bachelor level or higher in the UK, Ireland, USA, NZ or Canada
- University Preparation Course
- Indigenous University Orientation Course
- * Aboriginal Student Intake Test
- * AQF Diploma, Advanced Diploma or Associate Degree
- Or Successfully completed 0.375 EFTSL of study at bachelor level or higher at an Australian higher education provider (or equivalent). Alternative qualifications and English tests will be considered on an individual basis. Note: If secondary education and degree studies were completed within a period of 2 years before applying for registration in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the UK or the USA, applicants do not need to provide proof of English competency. Applicants who have completed their secondary education in South Africa in English and have an undergraduate degree taught in English from a South African University are deemed to have met English language requirements. Applicants from the Seychelles: Successful completion of the International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) grade C or above, PLUS a completed 4 year National Diploma.
This course has been Accredited by Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA).
Graduate Certificate of Education (Early Childhood Studies); Graduate Certificate of Education (Learning Difficulties); Graduate Certificate of Education (Literacy Education); Graduate Certificate of Education (Special Education); Graduate Certificate of Education (TESOL); Graduate Certificate of Education in Educational Leadership
|Campus||Fees||Entry||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|South West||International: $123,000||No information available||Yes||No information available|
|Mount Lawley||International: $123,000||No information available||Yes||No information available|
|Joondalup||International: $123,000||No information available||Yes||No information available|
Related career: Primary School Teacher. Non-Standard Timetable - Students have the opportunity to complete a fast-tracked final year and achieve eligibility for employment in schools from Term 4 of that year.