Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
Food sustainability is the study of food security, health, safety, quality and affordability, influenced by climate change and the environment.With the world population expected to reach 9.7 billion by 2050*, Federation University is creating new ways to help solve the problems of developing a safe, healthy and nutritious food supply for people worldwide.This unique degree was developed in collaboration with food industry partners to fulfill the need for food specialists in Australia. The first half of the degree embeds a Diploma of Food Science and Technology to develop your knowledge and core practical skills across food testing, quality and sustainability.In the second half of the degree you will pursue an interest by selecting one of Food Processing or Sustainable Food Production, as well as undertake an industry placement providing valuable and relevant workplace experience.You will also examine key aspects of sustainable food systems from different points of view: scientific, economic, environmental and ethical, whilst gaining a worldly perspective through a wide selection of subjects from biology to product and process design.*United Nations: World Population Prospects: the 2019 Revision.
360 credit points over 3 years.
- Principles of Biology
- Scientific Practice
- Fundamentals in Food Science
- Understanding the Food Continuum
- Food Safety and Compliance
- Sustainable Earth
- Applications in Food Testing
- Working in the Food Industry
- Food Processing Operations
- General Microbiology
- Future Feeding
- Sustainable Food Production
- Laboratory Management and Quality Assurance.
Standard entry requirements
- Year 12: Applicants will have completed the equivalent of Victorian Year 12 with an English mark of at least 20
- And a study score of at least 20 in one of any Mathematics or any Science. Non-Year 12: Non-Year 12 applicants must have a HE or VET background and/or relevant work/life experience and must complete a personal statement. International Students: Academic IELTS with an Overall score of 6.0/6.0.
|Campus||Fees||Entry||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|Gippsland (Churchill)||International: $84,600||Yes|
|Mount Helen (Ballarat)||International: $84,600||Yes|