Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
Molecular Bioscience is available as a specialisation within Flinders' Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Science (Honours) degrees. Flinders' science degrees are flexible and permit students to move between degrees and specialisations easily. Molecular Biology has applications in medicine, agriculture, forensic science, and the study of evolutionary relationships. In addition to developing a range of transferable research, analytical and communication skills, one of the primary outcomes of this course is the development of the student's molecular, biochemical and microbiological practical skill set through the large emphasis put on hands-on experiments in the majority of the topics. Examples of possible future careers in the Molecular Bioscience field include Molecular Scientist, Microbiologist, Clinical Research Associate and Quality Assurance officer.
- Students gain knowledge of biology by taking at least two biology-based topics as well as elective topics. First year also builds the foundation in other science disciplines with a variety of pathways that can be tailored depending on your background, such that this specialisation is available to those who have not previously studied science. Students also study fundamental biology topics (molecular biology, biochemistry, microbiology, virology, experimental design and genetics) and introduces students to the process of transferring bioscience discoveries from the laboratory to the wider community and making a difference to society. Third year focuses on deepening and critically applying theories, subject content, professional methodologies and research procedures relevant to molecular bioscience in the disciplines of microbiology, biochemistry and molecular biology
- for example bioinformatics and cell structure including nucleic acid and protein structure.
- Molecular Bioscience, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Virology, Genetics.
Standard entry requirements
- Year 12 or equivalent qualifications
- Or mature age entry (STAT)
- Or TAFE/VET qualifications
- Or higher education transfers
- Or completion of a foundation studies program.
Honours is available
|Campus||Fees||Entry||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|Bedford Park||No information available||Yes||No information available|
Students have the option of combining this degree with one of the following Bachelor degrees: Design and Technology Innovation, Engineering Science.