Type of institution: Registered Training Organisation
This qualification reflects the role of individuals working as a trainee stablehand under the direction of a trainer or stable supervisor in a harness or thoroughbred racing stable. It is aimed at students in schools or others requiring pre-employment training in preparation for entry-level employment as a stablehand.Individuals undertake routine tasks of caring, feeding and grooming horses and keeping the stable environment safe, clean and hygienic. They work under constant supervision and only handle horses that are well-educated, calm, compliant and manageable. Driving or riding skills can be acquired through the selection of electives.No occupational licensing, legislative or certification requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
- Perform basic driving tasks
- Apply knowledge of horse behaviour
- Contribute to health and safety of self and others
- Investigate job opportunities in racing and related industries
- Catch and handle quiet horses under supervision
- Perform basic riding skills in the racing industry
- Organise and complete daily work activities
- Handle racehorses in stables and at trackwork
- Perform basic stable duties
- Apply basic communication skills
|Campus||Fees||Entry||Mid year intake||Attendance|
Eligible students may receive government funding to undertake the course.