Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
Are you interested in the wide world of business and also keen on the idea of building the future through education? Then combine the two, with this double degree course. It will prepare you for a rewarding career in primary or secondary schools. Students specialising in secondary education will qualify as specialist teachers of accounting, economics or management studies, while students specialising in primary education will be qualified to teach across the school curriculum but accompany that with an in-depth knowledge of business. Either way you will have the business savvy that is increasingly important in the school sectors both as part of the school curriculum and in leading and managing schools. This course leads to two separate degrees. Depending upon your specialisation, you will be awarded one of, the Bachelor of Education (Honours) in Primary Education, or the Bachelor of Education (Honours) in Secondary Education, and the Bachelor of Business. You will gain all the benefits of each degree course and be fully equipped to pursue a career in either Education or in Business separately. A wide choice of majors is available within the Business course, spanning accounting, banking and finance, business law, business strategy, economics, management and marketing which will provide you with a rich repertoire of study pathways and career opportunities. Education study complements this with the knowledge and skills of how young people learn and are taught both generally and within business. Taken together they open up a wide range of career opportunities. Share your expertise in business with young learners or become involved in the business aspects of a school, with careers in educational leadership, school administration and marketing.
This course is equivalent to 4.25 years of full time study but is completed in 4 calendar years. Studies in Education and Business are taken concurrently. Travel between campuses will be required. Business units will be taught at Caulfield or Peninsula campus. Education units will be taught at Clayton campus.
- Business law
- Business management
- Business management and strategy
- Economics and business strategy
- Education studies
- Human resource management
- Marketing and communication
- Primary teaching
- Secondary teaching
Standard entry requirements
- Year 12 or equivalent
- Units 3 and 4: a study score of at least 30 in English (EAL) or at least 25 in English other than EAL
- And a study score of at least 25 in any Mathematics. All applicants must sit CASPer. CASPer is a requirement for many of the initial teacher education courses in Victoria. It is a non-cognitive online tool designed to assess an applicant's personal and professional attributes. To register for your sitting or further information visit https://takecasper.com/. CASPer can only be taken online, on specific dates between September and January. To ensure you meet the CASPer deadlines for your application go to https://takecasper.com/test-dates/
Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT)
Diploma of Higher Education
|Campus||Fees||Entry||Mid year intake||Attendance|
||No||No information available|
All students will be required to complete a Working With Children Check (WWCC).