Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
This program can be taken in any of the faculty's principal areas of research. Candidature in a Master of Philosophy involves the independent investigation of a research problem that has been formulated by the student. It is expected that the research undertaken will make a contribution to the discipline in which the student is enrolled by applying, clarifying, critiquing or interpreting that knowledge. Students are supported by a minimum of two supervisors throughout their candidature.
Research may be undertaken within all Schools of the Faculty of Science at the Clayton campus. Students are required to submit for assessment a thesis of not more than 35,000 words on the program of research which meets the requirements of the examiners.
- Atmospheric sciences
- Biological sciences
- Environmental science
- Mathematical sciences
Standard entry requirements
- A 4-year Bachelor degree normally with research component in the fourth year, leading to an honours degree class 1, 2A or upper 2B (65% overall) level
- Or a course leading to a level rated by the relevant school, faculty and central university committees as equivalent to an honours class 1, 2A or upper 2B (with an overall mark of at least 65 or above) degree
- Or a masters degree that entails work, normally including a significant research component, at least equivalent to an honours degree (a 'significant research component' in a masters degree will vary from discipline to discipline)
- It is normally expected that at a minimum, a grade of upper 2B (with an overall mark of at least 65 or above) has been obtained for the research thesis or project
- Where ungraded, examiners' reports will be taken into account
- Or have qualifications which in the opinion of the committee/s are deemed equivalent. English language proficiency requirements also apply
|Campus||Fees||Entry||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|Clayton||International: $81,000||No information available||Yes||No information available|