Type of institution: University/Higher Education Institution
This program prepares students to be a mental health nurse. Students will study advanced individual and group counselling, mental health treatment, contemporary nursing issues and research. RMIT Nursing and Midwifery is one of the oldest providers of nursing education in Australia.
- 96 credit points - 8 courses of 12 credit points each. Offered via distance education/online and face-to-face classes supplemented by online material. Studies include: Contemporary Issues in Nursing and Health Care
- Research in Nursing and Midwifery
- Advanced Counselling Skills for Individuals and Groups
- Assessment Analysis in Mental Health Service Delivery
- Communication and Counselling for Health Care Professionals
- Mental Illness and Treatment
- Philosophic Inquiry into Mental Health Nursing
- Professional Development in Mental Health Nursing Practice.
- Nursing-mental health
Standard entry requirements
- A Bachelor of Nursing degree, or equivalent, or a bachelor degree in psychiatric/mental health nursing from an approved higher education institution. (In the case of nurses with senior experience in mental health a Diploma may be considered equivalent.) Current registration or be eligible for registration as a Registered Nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia 840 hours of supervised clinical practice already completed in the field of mental health nursing
- Or currently completing this as part of a graduate year program in mental health nursing or supervised practice during the candidature
Mental health nurses are eligible to join a professional organisation such as the Australian College of Mental Health Nurses and are able to cite this qualification as part of their application for credentialing.
After successfully completing this program, students may be eligible to proceed to a Master by Research. They can apply for credit if they have completed a recognised psychiatric graduate nurse program (that was at least 12 months long) and/or are a Division 3 nurse with advanced standing and experience.
|Campus||Fees||Entry||Mid year intake||Attendance|
|No information available||No||